Most of us have at one time or another opened up facebook, twitter, or a random social network only to see a crazy post, pic, or flame war taking place online in a public forum. Social Media has become a vital communication tool that allows us to be connected 24-7, but we forget that it can also be a lighting rod for controversy and can create a chasm of insincerity.
Ilya Pozin a blog contributor at Forbes just posted a great social media etiquette check list that everyone should run through before they post on their personal streams. We wanted to expand on the list to give you a social media etiquette check list for your business.
1. Will your followers benefit from the post? Does it give them some type of incentive, subject knowledge, or create value.
2. What social network works best for your post. There are times it makes more sense to single out a social network for a particular post rather then post to all the social networks.
3. What audience will this reach and what audience do you want to reach. Posting to a general audience versus subject matter experts are to very different audiences.
4. Is the update/post inline with the company culture and values. If you are representing a family friendly business you won’t want to post an update that is out of character with the company.
5. Timing, social media can be very noisy which can cause your updates to go unnoticed. Try to time your updates so that your target audience will be more likely to be engaged.
Just apply these simple tips when updating your social networks and you’ll be sure to have great results. Ultimately if you respect your followers and engage them with relevant/helpful post, not only will they’ll keep coming back they will share with their friends. If you enjoyed this Social Media tip be sure to comment below and don’t forget to subscribe to our blog or newsletter.